Accommodations and Transportation
Please ask for the "U.C. (University of California), Lawrence Hall of Science rate". Most of these hotels are in Berkeley, but you will need to drive about 10-15 minutes to get to the Lawrence Hall of Science. Public transportation is available, but it is not the most convenient, for it requires some additional time and planning (visit transit.511.org for simple Bay Area travel planning). If you need more suggestions or advice, please call Brandon Hutchens at 510/642-7771 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hotel Durant 2600 Durant Ave, Berkeley: 510/845-8981 FAX 510/486-8336.
Centrally located near campus and Telegraph Avenue, shops, cafes, and transportation. Henry's Grille located on premises. Parking is available.
- Four Points Sheraton 1603 Powell St, Emeryville: 510/547-7888 FAX 510/652-4426.
A bit farther of a drive from the Lawrence Hall of Science, but a nice place to stay with outdoor heated pool and spa, and a mini gym. Shops nearby. Free parking.
- Berkeley Marina Doubletree 200 Marina Blvd, Berkeley: 510/548-7920 FAX 510/548-7944. Hotel overlooks the San Francisco skyline and Golden Gate Bridge. Restaurant, lounge with entertainment, health club, and two indoor swimming pools. Free parking.
- Berkeley Lab Guest House 1 Cyclotron Rd, Bldg. 23, Berkeley: 510/495-8158 FAX 510/495-8800. Located on the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory campus in the Berkeley Hills, a few minutes from the University.
- The Hotel Shattuck Plaza2086 Allston way, Berkeley: 510/845-7300 FAX 510/644-2088. Located in downtown Berkeley near public transportation, restaurants, and shops. Primarily single rooms available. Continental breakfast is included. Parking is located one block from hotel.
Airport Shuttle Service: Bayporter Express 415/467-1800; bayporter.com.
BART (Subway): The Bay Area Rapid Transit system (BART) runs from San Francisco International Airport and Oakland Airport to Berkeley and throughout the Bay Area. For information, visit bart.gov.
AC Transit (Bus): Traveling by bus through Berkeley can be a lot less hassle than driving. Bus fare is $2. Visit transit.511.org for simple Bay Area travel planning. Additionally, the “Hill Line” will take you from the center of campus (Mining Circle) to the Lawrence Hall of Science and back for $1 each way. Visit this website for the timetable: http://pt.berkeley.edu/node/173.
Inner City Transportation: Yellow Cab Cooperative: 415/333-3333. Yellow Cab has more cabs on the streets of San Francisco than the next four largest companies combined. When you call, the GPS locates and sends your order to cabs that are nearest you.
Summer Accommodations only:
UC Berkeley Summer Visitor Housing: Stern Hall, Berkeley 510/642-4444 or housing.berkeley.edu/conference/. Enjoy the traditional setting of this student residence hall. It's a part of campus and is close to shops, restaurants, and public transportation.